United Health Credit Union offers you a very special Checking Account that comes with some really valuable features.
With a UHCU Elite Checking Account you can forget about any monthly fees or per-check charges as you watch your deposits earn great dividends every month! Plus, all this comes with just a $5 minimum balance requirement.
There's also the freedom provided with 24-hour, year-round ATM and Visa Check Card access.
Another big feature of a UHCU Elite Checking Account is the 'Account Monitor'. This 24-hour automated system allows you to perform a multitude of transactions or inquiries over the phone.
- UHCU Elite Checking
- No monthly service charges
- No per-check charges
- Low $5 minimum balance requirement
- Unlimited check writing capability
- Competitive dividends paid every month
- Overdraft protection from designated share account(s) and/or qualified Overdraft Privilege
- Direct Deposit assures you of automatic paycheck deposits every payday morning
- Automatic Bill Paying Service provides automatic payment for your mortgage, utility bills, etc. — free of any transaction charge
- ATM & Point-of-Sale access
- Visa Check Cards (Debit Cards)
- ATM deposits at select locations
- Renew Checking
- At UHCU we understand that there are circumstances or even periods of hardship that cause financial difficulties resulting in negative reporting. If you've had past checking account problems and have been reported to ChexSystems, it may be difficult to find a bank willing to service your checking account needs.
We proudly offer options and resources to assist members improve their financial standing and start on the path to a solid financial future.How does it Work?
If you have a file with ChexSystems and don't qualify for our Elite Checking account, you may be given the opportunity to open a Renew Checking account. There is a one-time $25 processing fee and a $100 deposit hold in your regular share account.
Renew Checking offers the same features as the Elite Checking program, with the exception of Overdraft Privilege. There is a 9-month waiting period to request to convert to our Elite Checking and sign up for Overdraft Privilege.
- Overdraft Privilege
Whether it's an honest mistake in balancing your checkbook, an unforeseen expense or a temporary shortfall, sometimes your balance can fall on the wrong side of zero. UHCU can help make sure that small concern won't get any bigger with Overdraft Privilege. With Overdraft Privilege, UHCU will honor an overdraft transaction up to a maximum preset limit of $750. With no applications, no credit checks and no added worries on your part.
Who is covered by Overdraft Privilege
All you need is an eligible Checking Account. No other action is required on your part. You do not have to sign anything. If you qualify, your Overdraft Privilege amount ($500 or $750 limit) will be automatically assigned based on your account type.
How Overdraft Privilege works
As long as your account remains in good standing UHCU will honor overdrafts up to the Overdraft Privilege limit in your account. A $25 Overdraft Privilege (ODP) fee for each overdraft transaction will be deducted from your account.
What to do upon using Overdraft Privilege
When a check, ACH or Debit/ATM Card transaction is made that exceeds the balance in your account, the check or transaction will be honored. This means that the merchant who received your check or debit transaction will be paid, or the amount of cash you requested from the ATM will be given to you. Your account will be in the negative for the transaction amount plus the $25 ODP fee. You will then have 10 business days to make a deposit to your account.
Exceeding the overdraft limit
Overdrafts above and beyond UHCU's established limit may result in a check or checks being returned to the Payee or a debit withdrawal transaction being denied. The normal Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) fee will be charged per check and assessed to your account.
Overdraft Privileges and multiple accounts
Multiple UHCU accounts for your household may be eligible. Multiple accounts in the same name will be covered on one account only.
Overdraft Privilege differs from Overdraft Protection
Overdraft Privilege is not a line of credit but a courtesy extended to account that qualify and no action is required on the member's part.
Overdraft Privilege has you covered everywhere you go
Your UHCU Checking Account is more than just your checkbook, and Overdraft Privilege is there no matter how you access your money.
This is the most common use of Overdraft Privilege, and you don't have to do anything to take advantage of this service.
Even is a payment is made through the Online Branch BillPay (UDCU's internet banking application) or another Electronic transfer, Overdraft Privilege can honor any authorized payment.
Qualifications for Overdraft Privileges
The overdraft Privilege is contingent on your consumer checking account being open for at least 60 days and thereafter you maintain the account in good standing, which includes at least:
- Making regular deposits consistent with your past practices,
- Depositing an amount equal or greater than the amount of discretionary Overdraft Privilege extended to your account and bringing your account to a positive balance within a 30 day period,
- You are not in default on any loan or other obligation to UHCU and,
- You are not subject to any legal or administrative order or levy.
(UHCU will consider, as a discretionary courtesy and not a right or obligation, approving your reasonable overdrafts. This privilege for consumer checking account will generally be limited to a maximum of $500 (without Direct Deposit) or $750 (with Direct Deposit) in overdraft (negative) balances. Any and all fees and charges, including without limitation the non-sufficient fund fees, continuous overdraft fees and interest charges (as set forth in our fee schedules and deposit account agreements and disclosure), will be included in these maximum limits)
Now you have added protection without the extra bookkeeping
If you use your Overdraft Privilege, each item will appear on your monthly statement. UHCU clears checks by check number and not by amount, so there may be multiple charges on a single statement. It is helpful to check balances through the Account Monitor, Online Branch, or an ATM before writing several checks.
Opt out Option
You can choose to opt out of the program at any time. Should you require the Overdraft Privilege service at a later time, you can request to have it added back to your account.
- UHCU clears checks by check number, and any check presented after your balance is exceeded will be subject to the $25 ODP fee. Checks that you deposit by mail, ATM or in-person may not be immediately increase your balance. Commonly, two-to-five business day hold periods apply depending on whether the check is local or not. Please keep this in mind when writing checks so that you do not unintentionally incur the $25 ODP fee. The ODP is there for your benefitâ€"when you need it.
- Do a "Balance Inquiry" before your withdrawal to ensure you have sufficient funds. Your Overdraft Privilege limit will not show on your account balance when you perform an inquiry. However, you will be able to withdraw up to your overdraft limit at the ATM Machine. For example, if your account has a $0 balance and you have a $500 Overdraft Privilege limit, you can use up to $500, less any fees. However, each time you make a withdrawal when your account does not have available funds, you will be charged a $25 ODP fee.
- Go to the Online Branch at www.unitedhealthcu.org and check your "Available Balance" to cover purchases. If you do not have sufficient funds to cover your online purchases, the standard overdraft process and fee assessment will apply.
- Use Direct Deposit to make sure your deposits are made before any scheduled payments go out.
- ATM and POS Access
Cash Convenience 24 Hours a Day!
Instant cash is available throughout the nation with your UHCU Visa Check Card. You can also make deposits to your checking account at select ATM locations.
Reasons to get a UHCU Visa Check Card include:
- Checking or Savings Account withdrawals, inquiries or transfers on any Star or Cirrus Network ATM machine. Deposits also accepted at select locations.
- Make purchases and /or get cash at many grocery stores or gas stations with POS access on the Explore Network. The money is deducted from your UHCU checking Account.